Journey: Journalism Bootcamp is an intensive 10-day journalism course for Czech and international students. The 7th iteration of Journey took place in Prague, the Czech Republic, August 6 – 16, 2022.
Applications are now closed. Try again next year.
Are you a keen journalism student and would you like to take your skills to the next level? Apply for the Journey international summer school and get full scholarship that will cover the expenses related to your participation!
About the program
The Journey journalism training aims at imparting practical skills that are helpful for further career development of aspiring journalists. It is a unique opportunity for the participants to learn about the latest methods and trends in media work through lectures, workshops, and practical exercises, to build an international network of professional contacts, and to learn from the best in the field.
The course is led by leading experts from renowned global media and agencies such as CNN, The New Yorker, Bloomberg, Associated Press, and others, some of them being laureates of the prestigious Pulitzer Prize.
Who is the Journey program for?
- Journalism and media studies students who have completed at least two semesters of university / higher vocational education studies and have a serious interest in journalism work.
- Students of other programs if they have experience working as journalists or if they show strong motivation to become journalists.
- For applicants from the following countries: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, UK, USA, Republic of South Africa.
- Students with fluent knowledge of English.
How will you benefit from participation in Journey?
- You will learn about current trends and best practices in modern journalism.
- You will get practical experience with creating longer reports (including visual components incorporation).
- You will enhance your knowledge of journalistic ethics and improve the mastery of basic principles of journalistic work.
- You will learn how to report from the field in real time and abroad, how to create written and audio-visual reports for online and offline media.
- You will gain experience working on assigned topics under the guidance of experienced journalists and editors.
- You will develop the capacity to collect and analyse data in an organised, planned and timely manner and to identify, develop and use resources effectively.
- You will learn to present your own report content, while adhering to strict ethical standards.
- You will learn investigation techniques and report compilation.
- You will learn how to verify the authenticity of information shared on social media.
Photo: Eva Kořínková, Ondřej Besperát
What is good to know?
- An expert committee will consider the received applications that meet all criteria and select the participants. We will contact the selected participants by 31st May 2022 and subsequently communicate the logistic details of their participation to them.
- Students accepted into the program will receive full scholarship from the Bakala Foundation, covering expenses associated with the participation in the course, including the travel expenses to Prague, meals and accommodation, study materials, and visa fees.
- More details on the admission requirements can be found in the online application.
- The application has to be filled out in English, which is the working language of the whole course.
- The deadline for online applications for the 7th year of the program is 11:59 p.m. (CET) on May 10, 2022. Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will not be included in the selection process.
What were the previous years of Journey like?
- Journey 2021 Schedule
- Videos from previous years
- Articles of Journey 2021 participants
- Journey 2021 in the media: Drbna.cz (CZ, report), Prague Monitor (EN, report), Události komentáře Czech National Television (CZ, interview with Jessica Bruder, 49:10)