Journey: Journalism Bootcamp – an intensive 10-day summer course in journalism designed for both Czech and foreign students.
August 4 – 14, 2018 in Prague, Czech Republic
Applications deadline: May 6, 2018
About the program
The program is aimed at giving aspiring journalists real-world training that will help them pursue successful careers. The course is a mix of lectures and exercises where students will learn by doing under the supervision of . We have hosted lecturers from the BBC, Bloomberg, CNN, the New York Times, ProPublica, Reuters, Storyful, Mashable.com and the Wall Street Journal. Our lecturers have included several Pulitzer Prize winners, such as Seymour Hersh, Jesse Eisinger, Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber.
Objectives of the program
The program focuses on best practices and standards in an ever evolving landscape of modern-day journalism. Students will discuss relevant themes in journalism during lectures and test their skills in practical exercises throughout the week under guidance from experienced editors. Students will also spend two days reporting from Prague where they will produce stories under deadline. By the end of the course, students should be able to more confidently report and write breaking news as well as produce long-form stories while adhering to the highest ethical standards. Each student will also be required to pitch, report and write a long-form story on an assigned theme.
Is Journey for you? We are looking for…
- Journalism or media studies students who have finished at least two semesters of university education and who show strong interest in reporting and news writing;
- Students of related study programs who have shown deep interest in journalism and have work experience in journalism.
What skills will you learn during Journey?
- Researching a story in an organized, planned-out timely manner;
- Identifying, cultivating and effectively using sources;
- Navigating social media and verifying information shared via social media;
- Real-time field reporting and writing;
- Working with an editor to produce a long-form story.
What are the outcomes of Journey?
- You will create news content for various platforms – print, TV, online, radio;
- You will learn to deliver stories under strict deadline;
- You will work under experienced journalists on an assigned topic;
- You will learn to recognize and follow all the crucial stages of researching and writing a news story.
You can expect to leave with…
- Experience of crafting a long-form story that includes text and visual components;
- Experience in field reporting in a foreign country;
- Better knowledge of best journalism practices and reporting ethics;
- Networking opportunities with fellow program participants and international journalists.
Students accepted into the program will receive a full scholarship covering the costs associated with their participation in the program. The scholarship covers room and board, travel costs, visa related expenses and study materials.
Working language of the program is English and students are expected to have a very good command of English language.
See the Online Application for eligibility criteria and further details.
Want to know more? See the program schedule of the 2016 installment of Journey: Journalism Bootcamp and watch the highlight of Journey 2016 below, or more video on our YouTube channel.