“As a nineteen-year-old-young man, Zdeněk Bakala had to leave communist Czechoslovakia for the United States to receive a quality education in a free country. Having left with only a couple dollars on him, he had to work hard to cover the costs of his education. Nowadays talented Czech students do not need to emigrate from their home country to pursue a first-class education abroad. However, it still remains that a good education is an investment one has to pay for with hard work. If you have the courage and talent this investment demands, the Zdeněk Bakala Foundation can help you realize your potential.”
We'll give you the wings. It's up to you to fly.
The Bakala Foundation Scholarship Program supports young people who seek to complete undergraduate or graduate studies at universities abroad. The Scholarship Program is a shared project between Bakala Foundation in the Czech Republic and Fondation Zdenek et Michaela Bakala in Switzerland.
From 11th January 2016, candidates can submit their applications for the Scholarship Program 2016.
Only candidates who meet the following criteria can apply:
- He/She must be a citizen of the Czech Republic or a foreign national with permanent residency in the Czech Republic
- He/She must not be older than 33 years of age (by the date of submission of the application)
- He/She must be applying for undergraduate or graduate degree at a university outside of the Czech Republic
Application deadline is 31st May 2016.
Essay topics 2016
Essay, which is essential part of the application, should be written in English and must not exceed 600 words.
Applicants can choose one from following topics:
1. "Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." – C. S. Lewis. Please discuss.
2. Discuss the following statement: "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. " – Dante Alighieri
3. Reflect upon a time when you failed. How has this experience changed the way you approach challenging situations today?
We even have a student adviser available to help applicants, particularly the younger ones, select the right program. Applicants will receive the results of the preliminary selection and the schedule for personal interviews by August 2016.